Thursday, January 19, 2006
Jatun Sacha
On Saturday I had the most daunting experience so far, when I was left to fend for myself at Tena bus station. It was very busy and I was sure I looked realy different and noticable. I sat down for a while, too scared to move...but then increased my confidence by asking where the toilet was in Spanish. When the bus to Jatun Sacha arrived, I thought "you´ve got to be joking" - it was absolutely packed and even had people hanging out of the door, and I had a huge backpack and 2 bags. Once I´d got on however, there was actually a seat reserved for me as I´d bought a ticket. But it was intimidating being squashed in amongst all the noisy locals, so this replaced the above as the most daunting experience so far.
Well, I made it to Jatun Sacha, and this is my 6th full day here. Jatun Sacha is a big reserve in the rainforest, run by an Ecuadorian non-profit organisation. It´s huge, but I´ve only seen a tiny part of it. You can find out more at www.jatunsacha.org if you want. Excitingly, since it was founded in the 80´s, loads of species of trees and plants new to science have been discovered here.
What have I been doing this week...On Sunday we helped set up a stage for a local festival, down by the Rio Napo. It was a pretty awesome setting, but the festival was a bit boring as nothing much happened. I enjoyed getting a ride back in the back of a truck though - it was bloody scarey. I´ve also planted tomatoes, pruned branches off trees, pulled up weeds, gone for a long walk in the forest, cut down some bamboo to use as support for plants, and swept up some leaves. The most unusual thing has been spending a couple of hours sifting through soil and picking the worms out. The worms were then to be put in a fresh trough of cow shit, in order to make more soil. The work´s basically been gardening: in the vegetable garden and the botanical garden. I don´t think I´ve yet done anything to "Help preserve the Amazon rainforest", which is the title of the project. I´m hoping to plant at least one tree in my time here.
I´ve got used to not having tea (which I was pretty impressed with) and I even don´t mind the cold showers and the insect bites. What I can´t stand, though, is the dirty clothes. It´s becoming something of an obsession, planning when to wear which clothes and when to wash them. I did some washing on Monday...in fact I did some of it in the stream. Strictly, we´re not meant to use the tap water for washing (even though everyone does) so I made the mistake of asking permission, and was told to use the stream. I thought it would be a laugh, but it was absolutely useless as the red stuff on the rocks washed onto my clothes. So anyway, I did the rest in the sink....but the humidity stops everything from drying. Only now, 4 days later, have I got clean underwear on. I think I was wearing the last pair of boxers on and off for 6 days. It was pretty disgusting.
Most evenings I´ve been going to the bar with the other volunters. Yes, the fact that there´s a bar 100m down the road rather spoiled my impression of Jatun Sacha being in the Wilderness! As you can see, there´s even internet access! More details to come soon.
On Saturday I had the most daunting experience so far, when I was left to fend for myself at Tena bus station. It was very busy and I was sure I looked realy different and noticable. I sat down for a while, too scared to move...but then increased my confidence by asking where the toilet was in Spanish. When the bus to Jatun Sacha arrived, I thought "you´ve got to be joking" - it was absolutely packed and even had people hanging out of the door, and I had a huge backpack and 2 bags. Once I´d got on however, there was actually a seat reserved for me as I´d bought a ticket. But it was intimidating being squashed in amongst all the noisy locals, so this replaced the above as the most daunting experience so far.
Well, I made it to Jatun Sacha, and this is my 6th full day here. Jatun Sacha is a big reserve in the rainforest, run by an Ecuadorian non-profit organisation. It´s huge, but I´ve only seen a tiny part of it. You can find out more at www.jatunsacha.org if you want. Excitingly, since it was founded in the 80´s, loads of species of trees and plants new to science have been discovered here.
What have I been doing this week...On Sunday we helped set up a stage for a local festival, down by the Rio Napo. It was a pretty awesome setting, but the festival was a bit boring as nothing much happened. I enjoyed getting a ride back in the back of a truck though - it was bloody scarey. I´ve also planted tomatoes, pruned branches off trees, pulled up weeds, gone for a long walk in the forest, cut down some bamboo to use as support for plants, and swept up some leaves. The most unusual thing has been spending a couple of hours sifting through soil and picking the worms out. The worms were then to be put in a fresh trough of cow shit, in order to make more soil. The work´s basically been gardening: in the vegetable garden and the botanical garden. I don´t think I´ve yet done anything to "Help preserve the Amazon rainforest", which is the title of the project. I´m hoping to plant at least one tree in my time here.
I´ve got used to not having tea (which I was pretty impressed with) and I even don´t mind the cold showers and the insect bites. What I can´t stand, though, is the dirty clothes. It´s becoming something of an obsession, planning when to wear which clothes and when to wash them. I did some washing on Monday...in fact I did some of it in the stream. Strictly, we´re not meant to use the tap water for washing (even though everyone does) so I made the mistake of asking permission, and was told to use the stream. I thought it would be a laugh, but it was absolutely useless as the red stuff on the rocks washed onto my clothes. So anyway, I did the rest in the sink....but the humidity stops everything from drying. Only now, 4 days later, have I got clean underwear on. I think I was wearing the last pair of boxers on and off for 6 days. It was pretty disgusting.
Most evenings I´ve been going to the bar with the other volunters. Yes, the fact that there´s a bar 100m down the road rather spoiled my impression of Jatun Sacha being in the Wilderness! As you can see, there´s even internet access! More details to come soon.
Comments:
<< Home
Hey Darz. You seem to have enabled anonymous comments now, which is cool, so just to say that the whole thing sounds amazing and all best wishes for the rest of the trip.
TCH
TCH
Makes me feel a bit rubbish that I didn't actually do anything with my year off. At least I left the country...
Post a Comment
<< Home

